Sunday, May 31, 2009

Alabamer Race Day

As I write this little tidbit, I'm sitting by my lonesome in the hotel room, watching Dodgeball, recovering from my first legitimate professional mountain bike race.  As expected, it was hot, humid, and the competition was fierce.  I was in the unknown, having not raced competition this tough for a while, and coming off some heavy miles on the bike.  I knew I recovered well the past week and was rested, but still ran the risk of having a lack of pep in the step.  Well, turns out, I lacked major pep and had a crap start, getting caught in the back of the bottleneck into the singletrack.  In general I felt good, but just wasn't fast enough to catch up and do some major passing.  Everytime I tried to accelerate I knew I risked popping quick, so I just kept the pace as high as I could and rode within myself.  Not sure where I finished, but that's not important today.  The experience was important and I'm definitely going to be able to build off of today and improve every race.

Next weekend is the next US Cup race in Virginia.  I heard that the course is quite technical with a lot of climbing, which should suit me well.  I'll be traveling with the Annanator and Super Jeff, pictures and stories to come.....

No comments: