Sunday, April 19, 2009

Race Report: Fairhill XC (MASS #1)



Wowsers!  I have a lot of work to do before I see the front of the races again, but I am definitely up to the challenge.  Here's the short play-by-play of the day (the pic is from Delmarva Photos):

After a satisfying breakfast, I made my way down to the City of Brotherly Love to pick up the Joe Reynold's Foundation and head to Maryland for the official first Super Series race of the season.  After a so-so warm-up on the trails, I lined up first-row with delusions of grandeur.  The start siren blares, and Hole-Shot Hammy flies off the line like he's got a sausage dangling from a stick taped to his helmet, tongue hanging out, leaving the entire Elite Open field strung out like a crackhead reeling on the day's first high.  I tried to stick it out up there, but just don't have the start speed still, so I settled in and made sure to ride within myself.  The course was FAST, and even though it was wide-open, there was little if any technicality to this course which made it surprisingly hard to pass.  Big ring for 1.5hrs nabbed me a 16th place out of 27 starters.  A mixture of disappointment and satisfaction afterwards, but I know I'll do better this coming weekend.  

Other high points of the day:  Seeing people I haven't seen for a while.  Bike worked great, zero technical issues.  Had plenty of energy after the race, couldn't have gone much faster, but know the engine is solid, just need to add the Supercharger.  Got a payout for 16th place, Whaaaaaaat?!?!?!   Sweet!

In Summary:  Fairhill XC, Mid-Atlantic Super Series #1.  Elite Open 16th/27

Do a mitzvah today.  Until next time........

No comments: