Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Cold, wet, and anxious


Wow, I actually look like a bike racer in this picture!

Wowee wow! After a slew of hot days on the bike, the last two were a little shock to the system, especially today. 4 hours of cool wet miles left me begging for a hot shower and a soft pillow. Starting to come back around now, while watching the Philly International Cycling Championship on TV.

While all those silly roadies were out doing laps around Philthadelphia, beating themselves to death up 'The Wall' and Lemon Hill, I was flogging myself down in Delaware at the Iron Hill Challenge. Not my favorite race, due to its lack of vertical and absence of technicality, but since I've been on good form and improving week-to-week, I was more motivated to toe the line than normal.

I'm pretty sure this is early in the race, as I don't look disheveled.......

As I alluded to at the start of this post, it had been rather warm until recently. Sunday's race day weather was no exception, and being in Delaware it added high humidity to the mix, creating a soupy feel to the atmosphere. I'm pretty darn sure everyone there felt like cold poop on a bent twig, myself included, and excitement at the race start was at a minimum. That is, until the race director told us during the instructions/announcements that the race would end early if there was lightning (there was the possibility of thunderstorms on the day). The collective field of Elite/Expert riders sent their prayers to the heavens for this to happen, but alas the weather held firm.

The beginning of the race was a blur, with lots of elbows and jockeying that made my mangina cramp and I ended up hitting the singletrack in the middle of the Elite/Open field of 30 riders. I sat in for a few as we bypassed the 'Mega Dip' and the normal mid-pack accordion affect did its job of annoying the bejeebus out of me. Once we hit the first real uphill, I saw my opportunity and took off in pursuit of the leaders, whom I unfortunately never caught. But I had a fun time trying, and ended up 4th on the day.

A rare look at my pain face. I try hard to hide it, but it was hard on Sunday!

Gonna go watch me some Flyers hockey action on the tube, hopefully the trails are dry enough tomorrow for some Belmont action.

No comments: