Monday, April 26, 2010

One Banana, two banana, hot banana....



I'll be honest here, I don't have the energy to write, but still feel compelled to do so. SOMEBODY STOP ME!!! Must.....type.......can't.....stop......Ooooh ice cream!

This weekend was my first official epic race weekend of the season. What makes an epic race weekend you say? Well, by my definition, you need three (not 5), that's 3, key ingredients. One: you must be racing, or be at a race intending on competing in said race. Two: You must have to travel to said race, preferably staying over night somewhere along the way. Three: You must have epic weather (epic weather: Weather beyond which is normal, yet is not yet absurd. Can be awe-inspiring, daunting, and scary.). This weekend definitely had all 3, and by some huge stroke of luck, the epic weather did not coincide with the racing. Boo-ya.

The weekend started with my Saturday pre-race ride, although done on the road near home. Felt good, and after some lunch and car-packing, I was off to Frederick Maryland to stay at Anna & Jeff's. Once there, Anna made some kick-ass pasta for dinner and we enjoyed the company of others who shall not be named (because I can't remember their names now.......shameful!). After din-din we hopped in the car and made haste to the BANFF Mountain Film Festival showing in a nearby town for some big-screen watching. There were some awesome films, including my personal favorite of the night which was about a free-solo climber who climbed half-dome. SICK! After the show was over, it was back to the house and to bed. G'nite!

Slept like a baby, and got up to make some bad-momma french toast using some home-made amish country blueberry bread I got from the local farmer's market. This stuff is like race-fuel deluxe!!! Greenbrier Challenge here we come!!! In the car for the short drive to the course, we arrived and parked in the 'team parking' area where we set up the tent and set about socializing and getting prepared for the bike game of the day, which was a 5-lap 28+ mile XC race. Soon after setting up, Vegan Rob showed up with The Experience riding shotgun. Once chamoised up, I hooked up with J-West and Big Ed for a pre-ride where we found the course in primo condition. This got me psyched and after some more warming up it was time to rev the engines and remove the starting blocks. With 24 Pros on the start line, it was a solid group, and once the gate dropped (so-to-speak) I used the energy to my advantage, waiting for the first climb and passing a good number of riders before cresting the top to the first descent. I know this course too well, as I rode everything like it was my home trail, and quickly found myself a nook in the race. The 'nook' is the place where you are riding your pace and just flowing. I pushed it on the climbs and let loose on the descents. The new section of trail at the end of the lap was full of loose rocks, but was fun and challenging. I had myself in around 7th halfway through the race with 5th & 6th in sight when the legs starting tightening up. The pace started to slow and I knew I was in danger of cramping. Unfortunately, I couldn't keep things together and cramped hard on the last lap, having to dismount for a few seconds to shake the legs out. I had to let 5th & 6th place ride away and got passed by two riders to finish 9th. Not the top-5 I was aiming for, but I'll take it. Once again, a great race and still one of my favorites!



Amazingly, the thunderstorms predicted on the day held off the entire race, and the rain didn't start to fall until the drive back to the house. From there, we shot over to Brewer's Alley for some grub and afterwards I started on my way home. NOW is when the real fun was to begin. As I started on I-70 eastbound, the rain got harder and harder, and before long I was driving in a torrential downpour with strobe-light-like lightning all around me. I was pretty close to white-knuckling the steering wheel, but knowing that I had some good treads, wiper blades, and all-wheel drive, I kept up my 60mph pace and rode the left lane past all the other cars. This took up about 2 hours of the 3+ hour drive home. SUPER! I probably was more wiped from the drive home than from the race itself! And if it wasn't for that weather on the drive home, I'd still be waiting for my first epic race weekend of the season.

Thanks again to my old roomie Anna and her hubby-hubs Jeff for letting me crash, and for the crew at PVC for putting on a great event. Not sure where I'll be this weekend, but it's looking like I'll be swinging back down to Delaware for the next MASS race. See ya there!

No comments: