Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Mount Snowed

Doh!

That's how my race went on Saturday up at Mount Snow. Not to mention that they cut the course to 4.2 miles, leaving out many of my favorite sections of trail. Still, the course was classic Mount Snow. I got up to the area early and had a few days of pre-riding and inspection. Come race day, I felt I knew the course well and had the legs to cover it in a timely manner. At call-up, I was actually in the second of 3 groups. Moving up in the world!

I felt slightly nervous and confident at the start, and when the gun went off I took off smoothly, waiting until the climb proper to start making moves. This plan worked well as I made up enough spots to enter the singletrack mid-pack with riders closely packed ready for more passing. On the first technical descent though, I hit my left pedal hard on a rock which moved my cleat and broke off a portion of the plastic shim between the cleat and shoe. Now this may not seem too bad on the surface, but in fact this tiny piece of plastic not only carried the physical weight of my body upon my pedals, but also the hope of a high finish on the day. My left foot would not stay in the pedal, and with the long and rough descents on course, I had to take it much easier than intended on the downhills. Oh yeah, and I rodeo'd (one-footed) myself off the trail 6 or 7 times. After a lap of giddy fun, I came through 5 minutes down for a 25 minute first lap. The second lap went better, but not much, and got pulled after 2 laps. Ouch! If I was a proud man, this would get to me, but I'm a little slow, so I'm heading up to Windham this weekend for another ProXC Tour race to avenge my poor performance at Mt. Snow. And if that isn't enough, I'll be lining up for the Short Track on Sunday as well. Double the fun, double the excitement, hope everyone can handle it.

Sorta doubt there will be anything even close to a moosefest while I'm up there, so will have to get creative in order to entertain myself. Any ideas?

No comments: