Monday, August 2, 2010

Condensed.

Tiger Woods ain't got nothing on this fist-pump. It was a good day......

So I spent the past week prepping and massaging my back so that I could race the Bear Creek Kenda Cup pain-free on Sunday. Goal accomplished.

I took a detour Friday up to State College to check in with Richie Rich and get a replacement for my damaged rear wheel. Mission accomplished.

I pre-rode the XC course on Saturday so I could strategize a little for the race without being too surprised with the course. Roger, 10-4.

I even got a good night's sleep Saturday evening and felt ready for the world Sunday morning.

Showed up to the race, and there was a bit of 'dead air' at the venue. Not sure if it was the weather or the seeming lack of people, but I was there to bike game. Game on.

I started the race conservatively, but this caught up to me at the top of the longer climb to the ski-lift where Double-A moved to the front and took to the tech descent first, gapping us slowly and surely. I waited patiently behind the group and made some moves into third by the end of the first lap, about a minute down on him, 20 seconds back from second. I kept it steady and reeled in second, but came unclipped in some rocks and had to chase back on. Just as I was about to hook up, I washed my front tire in some soft, loamy soil. Ooops!

back to chasing, I just about hooked up again for the pass and then noticed I was going flat. Quickly shot some CO2 in and the tire sealed. Got close to second AGAIN and then Psssssssfffff, sidewall tear. This time I had to stop, get the tire half-off and put a tube in. My tires are a little tight, so this is a process, and I got passed by a rider during this 'process'. No worries, as it was my teammate Matt. If I'm going to get passed in any situation, I always prefer it to be a teammate, especially when it's a podium spot! I finished up and got going again, reeling Matt in but for the last time on the day I lost my PSI's. I still had a few miles to go in the last lap so I ran/rode in, getting passed slowly along the way, finishing 7th on the day. Guess that's not so bad considering!

Of note, all that excitement was condensed into the final lap. Cwaaaazy!

Time to recoup, regroup, and look forward to the next few races.

Hugs and Kisses!

No comments: