Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Finishing in a blaze of confusion


This phrase copyright by Ricky Bobby, Inc.

As I rode the final two-thirds of the race by myself, passing sport and beginner racers and muttering slurs of encouragement, I didn't think about much other than to keep pedaling and stay focused. I know, pretty boring. Some minor leg-cramps started setting in towards the end, due to the steep hike-a-bike earlier in the day, and my pace suffered a little as a result, but I kept on chugging. Then, with what was apparently only about 250m to go, the rider that was chasing me finally caught me. Drats, I thought. We started up the final climb, and at the top, I surged to go over first, not realizing that the finish was at the top. The rider who caught me figured out the situation and just managed to come around me for the win. This rider has many names, Shaaron, Double-A, Euro-Aaron, or just plain Aaron Snyder. Either way, he made me feel like an idiot as we descended down to the road and informed me that the finish was at the top. Stupidity set in yet again, a familiar feeling.

Matt staring at the trees while Chris does his best Captain Morgan pose.

So that's two second-places in a row now. Time to step it up a notch and throw down for the first 'W' of the season. Haven't had a legitimate win for a while, so I'm fairly certain it will feel good. If it doesn't, I will quit racing immediately.

No comments: