Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Wide eyed stare


Staring blankly I watch as my laptop screen burns to life. It's morning, any morning, and I'm going through the paces I have set forth for myself. Breakfast is soon to come, and this morning will be an unexpected meal of fresh blueberry pancakes and lean bacon. A good start for any.

After last weekend's disappointment I figured it would be impossible to have a bad race this weekend. I had gotten over last weekend's bug, gotten hydrated and stayed that way. I had my bike working tip-top, and I had gotten plenty of sleep all week. The stage was set for a good race. At the start, I turned it up to 11 and grabbed the hole-shot into the singletrack. After leading for most of the first lap, I almost rolled my rear tire on a high-speed corner after burping air out of it. Whoops.... A quick CO2 shot and I got rolling again in 3rd position. Lap #2 saw me chase back to 2nd but another flat on lap #3 had me stop for more CO2. Back on the bike, into chase mode again, almost done lap 4, then PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT. Out of CO2 I had to call it a day. Despite another mishaps and DNF, I am happy with the day as I was feeling good and know I'll be feeling better as each race comes up.

So no racing this weekend for me. After a solid week of training I'll be off for some camping in the Shenandoahs next week before heading into my big run of races for the year. MASS race at Sewell, King of Spring, Mt. Snow, Windham Mtn. If things work out, I'll be getting ready for cyclocross mid-August, doing 'cross clinics during September, and racing 'cross October, November, and December. That should keep the fitness in check and give me a nice base for next season.

Toodles.

No comments: