Sunday, August 28, 2011

Speak Softly and Make a Big Racquet

I like to make a big racquet ever now and then.

My parents used to tell me not to make a big racket, but what else was I going to do with all that string?!


The rare Backflip Derailleur Double Upchuck.  

So the above picture tells the story of my last mountain bike race of 2011.  The derailleur decided to do a backflip double upchuck 10 minutes into the cross-country event at the Bear Creek Triple Crown event.  To say I was disappointed is an understatement, I was crushed!  But this is racing, and I got over it the next day.  I'll miss racing with my Giant teammates the rest of the year, but I got different fish to fry this Fall/Winter......

Making big red polka dots look cool since 10 minutes ago
I had some people ask me why I decided to end the mountain bike season early this year, and here's your answer:  CYCLOCROSS.  Yes, that silly sport where you get on-and-off your bike for no good reason while sprinting around a grass field with beer-swigging spectators yelling at you from 2 inches away.  For the 2011 cyclocross season I will be guest racing for Adventures for the Cure (www.adventuresforthecure.com).  I will be donating all my race winnings to diabetes research and having a blast doing it!  And to help me in my endeavors.......

My 2012 Giant TCX 0, one of 2!
My office had a 'bring your kid to work day'.  I brought my cyclocross bike instead.

So to prepare for the upcoming onslaught of barrier-induced suffering, I will be going on fun mountain bike rides and attending Wednesday 'cross practices nearby.  My first race of the season will be the first 'cross race I ever attended:  Charm City CX.  A double dose of UCI madness, and even better I can ride to it from my house!

Whatever you choose to do this fall/winter on the bike, I hope you have fun and enjoy the ride!

Gieda and I, enjoying the ride.

No comments: