Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Last Hoorah of 2012.......

.....or is it?

Love is like a garden, sometimes it takes time to grow.


Summer has been crazy lately.  The heat and humidity, though hard to believe, is worse than last year.  I mean, seriously, I literally cannot sweat any more.  Ever.

More Cowbell, less heat & Humidity please.


Life is going well though, despite the heat.  Getting ready to move, and planning some fun things to do for the Fall.  If you have any suggestions for Winter, let me know.  I always fall short on Winter activities since moving back from Colorado.

Scene from Lewes, DE.  Taken in a post-dinner/ice-cream euphoria


Training is also going well, thanks to (mostly) sleepful nights and a steady supply of Elete!  Introduced some Plyo work before/after workouts to add some snap to my step, and it seems to be working.  Look out 'cross season!

And of course, there's the racing.  This has been going equally as well, having shown steady improvement throughout the season, after some early disappointment.  Here's some quick recaps:

Massanutten Hoo-Ha:  A race which has turned into a staple on my calendar, this was again a fantastic weekend of bike gaming!  I decided to take things at a more relaxed pace this year, and left on Saturday for the slow haul out with my buddy The Weav.  Missing the Super-D, we were fired up for the Short Track, and found the course to be as awesome as ever.  Some fast-laps had us even more wound-up, and we took off for 20'ish minutes of pure hel....er, I mean bliss.  Finished in the top-10 somewhere, hung out, went for some dinner, then hit the sack for the main event XC race.  Again, super awesome trails, two laps, cramp-fest due to maladjusted saddle, had a blast, finished 8th....or was it 9th....

Ian McAlexander takes some awesome photos.  This from the Hoo-Ha Short Track.


Ute Valley Pro XCT:  Good idea:  Heading back to CO to see some old friends and race my bike.  Bad idea:  Crashing and fracturing my wrist while pre-riding the course.  Good idea:  Taking it easy at the start to take the pressure off my wrist and not blow up in altitude.  Bad idea:  Taking it easy at the start to take the pressure off my wrist and not blow up in altitude.  Good idea:  Racing my first Eliminator event.  Bad idea:  Staying up until 1am playing Batman Arkham Asylum on PS3, lamenting over another poor ProXCT result, then racing my first Eliminator event.  Would I do it again?  Heck yeah.

Like a screen-capture from a dream.  Backside of Lookout Mtn.


Neshaminy Classic:  Back in the late 90's, this was my first mtb race I ever entered.  Since then, the course has morphed slowly over the years, keeping things fresh with new obstacles and routes through the relatively small patch of woods where the race resides.  I get pumped for this race, even when I'm not racing 100%, and this year wasn't much different, save for the two ultra fast South Africans who crashed the party.  Still had a blast, and had the family come out for some cheering and bottle hand-offs.  Thanks everyone!

Dropping into the gnarly descent on course.  FOCUS!


Windham World Cup:  R.I.P.  I'm extremely happy that I was able to make it up for this year's World Cup event in Windham, NY.  With two teammates donning the US kit, it was a must see.  Getting to watch Seamus and Forrest race in front of a home crowd against the best riders in the world quickly made me forget about the disappointment of not starting the elite race.  Proud of you guys!

Seamus up the climb

Ride Forrest, Ride!


Bulldog Rump:  A New Jersey classic mtb race, also the longest running mtb race in NJ!  I actually skipped a popular race only 1 hour away from me to make the trek 3hrs up to Andover, NJ and race one of the best courses in the Mid-Atlantic.  This event never disappoints, and with the usual strong field of competitors I found myself knee-deep in suffering on my way to a satisfying 2nd place effort on the day.  To make things interesting, I traveled with The Weav, and while leading me into the final lap, he thought he'd be nice and fall of his bike in order to let me go by (I kid, but seriously, he really did fall!).  He was ok, just got a little overzealous in the heat, and it made for a good laugh on the way back to Baltisnore.

For the last string of mtb races, I've got nothing but favorites on tap.  This weekend I'm headed up to Bear Creek for their Super Series event, followed by the PA State Championship event also at Bear Creek.  Then it's off to Wisconsin for the Subaru Cup Pro XCT event.  If I don't see you at one of the Bear Creek races, then SHAME ON YOU!

Later Gator........

Every office should be equipped with one of these in my opinion.

No comments: